Sunday, January 1, 2012

The storm from Hell......

We had a storm here yesterday. Actually, it wasn't so much of a storm as a visit from Hell!!!! We had hail stones the size of my fist and although it lasted only 15 minutes, it was devastating! The picture below was taken nearly 2 hours after the storm ended and this hail stone is still huge!!!!


The hail fell so hard it sounded like rocks being dropped on the roof and it smashed 10 of our windows, shredded some of our gutters and completely trashed our solar panels! There isn't a tree left in the garden with any leaves and my neighbour's car windscreen is completely gone!!

One of our gutters!

What's left of our solar panels.....

When I eventually ventured outside, the first thing I saw was Little D's ride on tractor sitting amid a sea of hail and water....


In terms of world disasters this probably doesn't mean very much, but to our small farming community it really was horrific! It's mid-Summer now and most of the farms have fields and fields of corn. Or they did have........


7 comments:

  1. Oh Laura, I'm so sad to hear this. What a terrible end to a very strange year. I hope you have some good insurance...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awful! What a devastating storm! Sending good thoughts your way. BTW I really enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad no one got hurt. We get bad hail here too and they usually have to set up damage assessment centers in the local fair grounds for all the cars and equipment that get ruined. Good luck to you and I hope the coming year is good to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Laura, that's BAD...They are more like canon balls! Wow, I thought that the Highveld had some hectic weather (we also had a massive thunderstorm last night), but sheesh...that is freakish hail! I hope you guys get sorted out properly with your insurance...it's just such a schlepp to have to deal with the aftermath :(
    I hope your New Years Day improves and that you have blessings and health throughout 2012 (and a bumper crop from your vegetable garden!)
    ♥Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness Laura... I didn't even realise that hailstones could be that big! I'm horrified to see all the damage they can cause. Thank God that no-one was hurt. What a start to the new year.. but it can surely only get better now. Big hug to your little one who had his tractor damaged! :)x

    ReplyDelete
  6. goodness me that looks terrible. I do hope that you are all ok and recover ok from this. Lets hope things get better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. RECIEN DESCUBRO TU BLOG Y ME ENCANTO...LAMENTO MUCHO LO QUE PASO...JUSTO EN AÑO NUEVO...QUE PENA PARA TODOS USTEDES, PERO ESPERO PUEDAN RECUPERARSE PRONTITO Y SALIR ADELANTE EN ESTE NUEVO AÑO QUE COMIENZA Y CON MAS FUERZAS QUE ANTES...TODO MI CARIÑO PARA VOS Y TU FAMILIA. BESOS. FABI.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a message...